Every new year most people reflect on what the past year has brought them, what they want to change, or just how it treated them as a whole. I think every year brings many ups and downs. Some things stand out more than others, and you may reflect on some bad more than good. That’s life. Life would be boring if the same thing happened day in and day out. So, I wanted to write what I’ve learned and maybe it might make you think about what stood out to you in 2017. All of these are in no specific order and are all a little random so bare with me.
- Appreciate the little things. I know it sounds cliche, but it’s so true. Family does mean everything and if you aren’t in tune or getting along with someone, you should try to mend the relationship. This also goes for friends as well.
- Forgiveness is HUGE. God says in Matthew 6:14-15, “For if you forgive others for their transgressions, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive others, then your Father will not forgive your transgressions.” People are going to do wrong to you in this world. That’s a given. It’s how you react to it and treat them in return that matters. If you hold onto that unforgiveness I promise it’s only hurting yourself. You may not want to forgive them bc they did something you can’t fathom someone could possibly do to you and I know how bad it hurts to have someone you love/care about do something to hurt you. BUT no matter how bad you may not want to, try your best bc I promise when you let go of that extra weight you will feel a whole lot better.
- Stepping out of your comfort zone is one of the best things you can do. There’s so much out there, don’t let fear keep you from living a full life. I’m about to be thrown into the adult world… I graduate in 5 months and have to get a real big girl job. That’s scary for most people in my situation and I’ve learned that everyone has to do it. Everyone grows up and finds their way and I shouldn’t feel scared or panic because I know I will be led in the right direction where I’m meant to be.
- Jealousy is the worst emotion. Jealousy will eat you alive and not only that, it brings out the worst parts of you and your other emotions as well. I know it isn’t easy, but trying not to be as jealous is really good for your mental health.
- No matter how hard life gets, it is always worth living. For every reason to give up there are 100 reasons why you shouldn’t give up. Life is ugly and hard, but it’s also beautiful and rewarding, so live it. I hear about young kids and even adults taking their life and it hurts my heart. I know they have so many people that love them. The world has a lot to offer, so live your life, learn some lessons, and become the best person you can be.
- We all need to get better at listening to opinions that we disagree with/dislike. I know it’s hard to sit and listen to someone that you COMPLETELY disagree with. I’ve been there, but I need to be better about my reaction to their opinion and explain mine in a nicer manner.
- Patience. We all need a little more of it.
- Binge watching TV is actually the best thing ever….. RIP to 13 Reasons Why, Making a Murderer, Gossip Girl #XOXO, Stranger Things, Riverdale, This Is Us, Blindspot (currently) #thebest
- Technology is taking over this generation. I mean I realized this before 2017 but it’s still crazy to me. Do y’all agree? Side note- I am not a fan of the iPhone X face recognition. Why is this a thing??
- Smile more. Your mood effects everyone around you and it’s much more enjoyable when everyone is happy.
- Getting in a routine and setting goals for yourself really does help motivate you. I go back and forth of going to the gym at least 5 days a week to skipping for a couple weeks. It’s a cycle.. but life is all about balance, right? It takes 21 days to develop a habit, so think about that before you decide to give up on something you want to achieve!
- Focus on your own path. It’s so easy to be distracted by the shiny exciting things other people are doing. Whether they’re starting a new job, booking a vacation or getting in a new relationship. Be happy for them without allowing it to make you feel bad about your achievements and what you’re doing in your life. Don’t allow it to sway you from your path – stay focused on your goals, which might be (and probably are) totally different from someone else’s.
- Be yourself. I wanted to start a blog for over a year before I actually did. I was afraid of what people might think or say. But who cares. I know people judge me, but I could care less. The people I love and care about support me and that’s all that matters. If people talk bad about you or don’t support something you’re passionate about, then they aren’t your friend. I always say, “People are going to judge you no matter what, so you might as well do what you want.” It’s your life. Do what YOU want.
I hope this post helps you reflect on your 2017 & inspires you to have a better new year, even if it was a great one. Remember you can always be better & practice makes perfect in all aspects of life!
I wish everyone the best in 2018!